I’m so incredibly grateful for books. Someone has taken their entire life experience, learnings, and wisdom and written it down, in a single place, so that other people can learn from their journey.
I love reading and read every single day. In the past, I used to fly through books (and read ~40 books per year), but this year I’m trying something different.
I realised that when you are at school, or university and are really studying a subject deeply to learn, understand and remember it, you don’t just read something once. You don’t just rip through it, put it aside and start the next book or reading.
You read it slowly, you study it, dissect it, re-read it, discuss it, and write about it.
And so this year, my goal is to read more deeply. To actually study the books I read. To re-read them and to write about them.
I’m still hoping to break the 30 mark – but I am anticipating that I’ll read less, but read better.
Here’s what I’ve been reading.
- Marketing Secrets Blackbook, by Russel Brunson
- Content Multiplier Formula, by Peng Joon
- 12 Rules for Life, by Jordan Peterson
- Sapiens, A Brief History of Humankind, by Yuval Harari
- The Decision Checklist, by Sam Kyle
- The Harsh Cry of the Heron, Lian Hearn
- High-Performance Habits, by Brendon Burchard
- Wizard: The Life & Times of Nikola Tesla, by Marc Seifer
- Heaven’s Net is Wide, by Lian Hearn
- Britain Begins, by Barry Cuncliffe
- Where New Zealand Began, by Paul Rose
- Expert Secrets, by Russel Brunson
- The Golden Lion, by Wilbur Smith
- Vindolanda, by Adrian Goldsworthy
- The Boron Letters, by Gary Halbert
- The Go-Giver, by John Mann
- Class Clowns: How the Smartest Investors Lost Billions in Education, by Jonathon Knee
- A Random Walk Down Wall-Street, by Burton G. Malkiel
- How Proust Can Change Your Life, by Alain de Botton
- The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon by Brad Stone
- The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday
- The Age of Swords (Audible) by Michael J. Sullivan
- Dot Com Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Growing Your Company Online by Russell Brunson
- The Age of Myth (Audible) by Michael J. Sullivan
- The 10X Rule (Audible) by Grant Cardone
- Brisingr by Christopher Paolini
- Inheritance by Christopher Paolini
- Top 101 Growth Hacks by Aladdin Happy
- Tools of Titans by Tim Ferris
- The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John C. Bogle
- Ego is the Enemy (Audible) by Ryan Holiday (This was a re-listen. I believe this book should be read by everyone once every year as a reminder!)
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman
- Why We Argue About Climate Change by Eric Knight
- Say Hello to Happiness by Michael Adamedes and Rob Prior
- The Four Legendary Kingdoms by Matthew Reilly
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
- The Industries of the Future by Alec Ross
- Ego Is The Enemy (Audible) by Ryan Holiday
- Eragon by Christopher Paolini (a bit of fantasy to mix it up!)
- Eldest by Christopher Paolini (once you’ve read one, you can’t stop!)
- High Output Management, by Andrew Grove
- The Way of the Superior Man, by David Deida
- Four Points, Fourteen Lines, by Tony Chan
- Living Happiness, by Sebastian Kade
- The Miracle Morning (re-read) by Hal Elrod
- River God, by Wilbur Smith