My name is Rowan, and this is my personal blog where I’m sharing my all learnings in becoming a better leader – from the ‘oh shit’ to the ‘aha’ moments, and everything in between.
I’m learning by reading & studying the wisdom of those who have already figured out how to be a great leader (past & present). I’m learning from mentors and fantastic people in my life and most importantly by doing.
My goal is that by honestly and authentically sharing my leadership journey, it will inspire you and provide you with insights (and mistakes to avoid) to help you on your own journey in being and becoming a better leader – for your team & organisation, for your family & your community.
Who am I?
My dream growing up was to play soccer professionally. I didn’t make it – I just wasn’t good enough. Playing soccer however taught me a lot about life. About the discipline, persistence and the hustle required to become great at something.
While my friends pursued a corporate career, I put my Law degree in my filing cabinet, and charted my own path. I wrote a book, started Art of Smart Education, Uni Australia (which was subsequently acquired), and more recently co-founded myEd, where we are helping teachers say goodbye to a one-size fits all classroom.
I haven’t had a ‘job’ working for someone since I was 19 (I’m 29 now).
Along the way I’ve launched (with some amazing teams) a number of firsts in Australian education (including Australia’s first educational hackathon and Australia’s first student generating ranking system of Aussie universities) and won some cool awards (including Anthill’s 30 Under 30 Entrepreneur Award).
And yet I’ve also made (and still making) lots of mistakes along the way and had 2 businesses fail.
What do I like?
- Education (I’m hugely passionate about helping young people find their purpose and get the skills they need to make the world a better place – this lies at the heart of our mission at Art of Smart Education)
- Learning (My aspiration is to be as Charlie Munger describes ‘a learning machine’)
- Comic books (I’m a big DC fan – Superman specifically. Yes, I know the new Superman movies sucked…)
- Soccer (I’m an Arsenal fan – go the Gunners!)
- Public Speaking (I’m a passionate Toastmaster. This is my club here. Visitors are always welcome, so come and say hi!)
- Sri Lankan curries (My mum is Sri Lankan – the hotter the curry the better!)
- Cycling and running (OK, exercising in general. I exercise 5 times per week, every week without fail.)
- Reading (Here’s what I’m reading at the moment)
- Musicals (There’s just something about breaking into song that makes my heart sing. Watch this – feeling uplifted?)